Disenfranchised Generation

Maybe I am the last one to know this, but "disenfranchised generation" means that our generation was not voting. Very interesting.

Voluntarily a large part of the 18-35 year old population has not been participating in voting in primarily Presidential elections, but in any elections at all. I had no idea this is what DISENFRANCHISED meant.

I guess you learn something new everyday.

I thought it meant that we were a lost generation. And I guess in a way it does. We were not using our voice and letting others just take it from us without a second thought.

Fortunately, the numbers of 18-35 year old voters is climbing. The numbers went up from the 2000 to the 2004 Presidential race by 11%. Meaning that only 56% of this disenfranchised generation wasnt voting in 2004.

We are apathetic. I completely understand why, but then on the other hand I dont understand why.

I think we are a spoiled generation. Used to having everything we ever wanted at the push of a button and in a split second. We live in a world were it is very easy to become isolated and think that our opinions dont matter.

Growing up isolated and without struggle, we loose a sense of what is really going on around us. We can learn the history. But that isnt actually going through it. Thats just hearing about it. It is not the same.

Maybe now that we actually are living through and seeing the effects of our national struggle and how it actually affects OUR lives we will start to vote. Not to hate on my entire generation, but we are a bunch of selfish, self absorbed people. Of course once the state of the nation starts to affect us personally (as it should have all along) then we will stand up and use our voice.

No comments: