Watch me die another day

I am hopelessly uninspired this week. I have, however, found a new topic to endlessly research on the internet while passing the time at my dreadfully boring and seemingly never-ending job. And that topic is groupies. Well one groupie in particular, maybe even THE groupie, Pamela Des Barres.

I have just started reading her book, "I'm With the Band" and I find it completely fascinating. There is something so exhilarating about the fact that she took control over her desires and passions.

Whether some might find her actions seedy, disrepectful to herself, whorish, whatever...I truly believed she wanted to just FEEL the music. Be close to the music. What teenage girl hasnt. Hell, who am I kidding, I still feel that way. Maybe that is why I have such respect for her story.

The fact that she is now capitalzing on the zealousness of her youth is a little unsettling to me. I know that she did not have the foresight to see how her antics as a young woman would earn her a small fortune in the years to come, but still I find it a little cheap that she has sold her story.

I read earlier about the real "Penny Lane". You know from "Almost Famous" (my all-time favorite movie). This woman did not want to sell her story, just wanted it to be what it was and then was thankful when Cameron Crowe took an interest and sold the story for her. There it was told, but she didnt have to say it.

The tale is riveting, nonetheless, and I probably will finish the book tonight. Hell, if I had ever been able to be in the presence of greatness as Pamela De Barres was, I would sell out too.

Doesnt everyone sell out in the end. Sometimes I guess its just about bringing home the bacon. Which is exactly why I am sitting uninspired at this point. I have to "bring home the bacon". And it bores me to tears. For now I will have to settle for reading about others and spreading their stories, maybe one day I will have a story of my own to sell.

No comments: